Monday, March 26, 2007

Carmichael Field Test #3

Yesterday was the next installment of the dreaded "CTS Field Test". Carmichael has athletes do them on a schedule of every 8 weeks. The test, combined with an extensive, but not exhaustive, questionaire determines the workouts and schedule over the next 4 weeks.

These are essentially TWO back-to-back 3 mile time trials, with an RPE of 10, meaning that you go as hard as you possibly can for 3 miles with the goal to be finishing it in the fastest possible time.

We have a course setup on Lafayette Road with the start line just north of SR-267 and the finish line being just before the first overpass on I-65. It is exactly 3 miles and marked with yellow lines and finishing countdowns every 1/10 mile for the last 1/2 mile.

I am more than pleased with yesterday's results as I saw improvements across the board in time, HR, consistency within the effort and most importantly, power (watts).

Here is the raw data taken from my training log on the CTS website:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Field Test Results for Mar 25 2007

Conditions
Course : Cycling (Road)
Terrain : Flat
Wind : Breezy (5-15 mph)
Humidity : 0.71
Temperature: Warm (60-80 F)
Weight : 219.0lbs

Interval 1

Elapsed Time : 00:06:33
Distance : 3.0Miles
Average Speed : 27.7mph
Max Speed : 30.0mph
Average BPM : 184
Average Power : 439
Maximum BPM : 188
Maximum Power : 711
Average Cadence : 90
Perceived Exertion: 9 - very difficult

Interval 2

Elapsed Time : 00:06:35
Distance : 3.0Miles
Average Speed : 27.6mph
Max Speed : 29.9mph
Average BPM : 183
Average Power : 411
Maximum BPM : 187
Maximum Power : 703
Average Cadence : 85
Perceived Exertion: 9 - very difficult

Comments:I felt like this was a great ride. I was turning gears at speeds I haven't done in a long time. The wind was a "non-factor" in that I thought I'd get a bit of a push from a tail wind, but the wind shifted while I was on my way to the course warming up. As it turned out the wind was off my hip at about 8 o'clock for the duration - not quite a tailwind and not quite a crosswind. I used the 53x14 in the first half of the first test and switched to the 13 in the latter half. For the second test, I actually used the 12 in the last half and while it took a minute or so, I got "on top of it" and was able to turn it over at 85-87 rpm.

I see some significant gains across the board in time, speed, HR and power. I feel recovered and am going to ramp it up a bit more for the next cycle by asking for more intensity during the review. I am stoked.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I just need to get my Zipp 808's and some decent clip-on bars...first Time-Trial race is in 2 weeks.

All for now....

No comments: